Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Must-Haves of the Moment


We all have items on our mental wish lists.  Since my mental wish list changes so frequently, you can be sure to see this segment more than a few times here at Lipgloss and Lingerie.  Take a look at my Must-haves of the Moment...

Something Plaid or Houndstooth
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                One of the season's trends that I'm totally in-love with: plaid and houndstooth.  Plaid is a forever trend.  It goes out, and then it comes back in... Why you ask?  Because plaid is a simple, classic pattern that looks great on everyone. Plaid is a great way to add interest to an otherwise simple outfit.  Take the dress above for example: I LOVE the solid blue top with the plaid bottom.  This is great if you have a large bust or belly that you are looking to take the attention away from.  The patterned bottom draws the eye downward, making your bottom portion the focal point.   Something that will never go out of style is a proper-fitting trench.   If you're petite like I am, it will be tough to find a trench that fits you correctly.  The good news is: most tailors do a fine job at taking in the sleeves, and shortening the length, without taking away from the overall shape of the coat.  Take it a step further into trendsville by getting one in a bright color, or in houndstooth, as shown here.

Dress and trench from ModCloth

Over-the-Knee Boots

 

Ever since the famous episode of Gossip Girl that showcased Blake Lively in a pair of Chinese Laundry over-the-knee boots, I've been lusting for a pair of my own.  If you drool at the sight of knee-high suede boots, we are now in luck ladies.  Over-the-knee boots are all the rage right now (yes, I said, "all the rage"...) making them easy to pick up at affordable prices.

Grey boots from Chinese Laundry, Black boots from Victoria's Secret.












BANGLES, BANGLES, BANGLES! (and charm bracelets)

I am all about statement bracelets right now.  The girlier the better.  Forever 21 has these gorgeous wooden, floral bangles.  Pair them with dark denim, and a solid colored top to make them really pop.  I also like to layer them with smaller, metallic bangles and bracelets.  Naturally, I'm also really crazy about charm-bracelets at the moment.  I like pairing them in un-expected ways, like with a pair of studded pumps, or a leather jacket.  The charm bracelet shown here is a Betsey Johnson design and is a little steep in price, but you can easily pick one up that's just as cute, for a lot less at stores like Claires and Ardene.













Bangles from Forever 21, Charm bracelet by Betsey Johnson.




Medallion Earrings

I think my fascination with medallion earrings started when I decided to be a roman empress for Halloween (costume: here)--since then I've seen them on a few people, and while they don't work for everyone, I think  the majority of people that I've seen can get away with sporting them.  Luckily, I've got a pretty good face shape for these earrings and plan on picking up a pair in the very near future to try out.   For those of you wondering if your face is the right shape to pull off these beauties, why not watch this video by Anna Saccone where she discusses how to choose accessories based on your face shape.  Subscribe to her Channel on Youtube , her videos are fabulous!

This pair here (as well as the pair in the header) can be found at Forever 21.

Boyfriend Sweaters

I'm a huge fan of the "boyfriend" look right now.  Just take a look at my post about boyfriend jeans if you don't believe me.  I love the way boyfriend cardigans look over floral dresses and with jeans and flats.  They're great for a cool (not cold) night out rather than wearing a heavy jacket.  Unfortunately, as mentioned before I'm petite... so the boyfriend pull-over ends up making me look like  I really did borrow the shirt from my boyfriend--and not in a good way.  Sort of in the way that I'm 5 feet tall and he's 6 foot  2, and the sleeves are so long that I'm one red nose away from looking like Dopey from the seven dwarves. Oh well, at least they look nice on normal people. lol 

What do you think?

Are you a fan of my 5 must-haves of the moment? What are your current must-have items?  Let me know in the comments!

xox

3 comments:

  1. I have a boyfriend cardigan that my sister gave me and I wear it constantly! It definitely a staple in my wardrobe. I also have a hug problem with sleeves and constantly need things like coats, jackets and dress altered and shortened because Im short and petite.

    P.S. This is some really good writing :)

    ReplyDelete